Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Early American Settlers said "When in Doubt, go the Artsy Route"!


Here we are, only a few days until the opening! I am stoked about the possibilities of flying lettuce, and of course, the christening the Lot. I got really pumped about this Ribbon Cutting Ceremony, so much so that I started daydreaming about oversize keys.... but I was like, What, am I gonna be the mayor and then give myself the key? You know, that's just silly.

So I then mused on ceremonies of this nature: Groundbreakings, Keys to the City, and Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies. The first two I get, but where does a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony come from? Like any other good American Citizen, I posed my question to the Internets. An hour later I was angry, finding that familiar hollow feeling that comes with wasting an hour of perfectly good time on some random internet search. There I was, staring at giant gold plated scissors on www.ceremonialscissors.com. Seriously.

Other than a few vague references to "Edwardian times", the Library was no help either. So then I was like, you know what? That's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna get my Phd in American Culture Studies, and then I'll know all about this whole ribbon cutting thing, and by the way, who really was Johnny Appleseed anyways? I got pretty fired up.

But then I came to my senses and thought, nah, actually I think I'll stick with this "outdoor experimental art space" thing and just make up my own Ribbon Cutting Ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment